The Women’s Philanthropy Institute at Indiana University states that women’s philanthropy is “central to building civil society and strengthening democracy in the United States.” Women’s philanthropy can help to promote the important role that women play in solving economic and health challenges and in ensuring peace and security – locally, statewide, countrywide and worldwide.
Our Local Need
Our yearly growth in grant applications is evidence of the need in our area. There’s much more need than we can currently support. Below are a few statistics that point to the needs of women and girls in our area.
- 50% of Washington County elementary schools qualify for Title 1 status (meaning 40% of the students in the school are low-income).
- In 2016 there were 939 homeless students (and parents) in the Washington County School District. Over 40% of students in the district receive free or reduced lunch. To qualify for free lunch, income for a family of 4 must be below $31,590; for reduced lunch, income must be below $44,955.
- Utah’s rate of homicides related to domestic violence is an alarming 42%. The national average is 30%.
- In a 2015 study by WalletHub, Utah ranked 50th overall in the US for women’s equality (workplace environment, education, and political empowerment).
- In general, our state government and our federal representatives in the 112th, 113th, and 114th congresses, have not been supportive of bills that would benefit women and girls.
Why a Giving Circle?
By pooling your contribution with others, you can make a much larger impact than making a lone contribution. The cooperative energy that a group produces is greater than the sum of the energy of each individual. The power of collective philanthropy is undeniable.
Donors in giving circles give more, give more strategically, and are more engaged in their communities. Read the report.
Be a part of this young venture, the only giving circle in the “three corners” area!
There are 3 levels of membership:
- Standard – $250 minimum donation
- Higher Education Students (18-25) – $100 minimum donation
- Girls Under 18 – $50 minimum donation
A $250/year contribution to the giving circle is equivalent to only 68 cents/day. That’s less than a slice of pizza or anything on the menu at McDonald’s or a song from iTunes!
NOTE: We also accept donations of any amount. Make your tax deductible donation here.
Be a shero. YOU can make your local women’s and girls’ lives sparkle.
To Make Your Donation By Check (preferred)
Please download and print the Pledge Form and include it with your check made out to “The Community Foundation of Utah”. Send it to The Community Foundation of Utah, 2257 South 1100 East, Suite 205, Salt Lake City, UT 84106 (ph: 801-559-3005).
To Donate Online
If your company has a matching program and/or you would like to donate stock, please refer to the FAQ.